Arriving at the specified time, the conversation was quickly transferred to the back yard site, where an old and decrepit jerry built Verandah was attached to house under the eve, providing very limited protection from the elements.
The brief was to replace the existing structure with a large low maintenance structure offering good protection from the elements, child friendly, easy access and a degree of privacy. Lastly, the structure had to be in keeping with the existing weatherboard home.
“DECAID”, a division of the Timber Decking Now Group P/L through our parent company INEX P/L was awarded the project.
The chosen decking finish was TREX (Tiki Torch) capped composite decking.
TREX was chosen due to its extremely tough and durable surface, ease of cleaning and its child friendly nature. (no surface fixing, chip resistance and a little bit of give when a child trips over) As the photos clearly show, the result is nothing short of “fantastic” in the looks department.
The roofing is 90% polycarbonate sheet, with the remainder (10%) “COLOURBOND” directly over the BBQ at one end. Privacy screens constructed from 90mm Merbau and affixed to a RH H3 treated pine frames, adorn both ends.
Finally, Peter and Sue requested Balustraded handrails with a central opening to minimise any falls with young children. A TREX step finish was added to keep the deck and step uniform.
The deck is 12M wide x 3.6M deep. (43.2sq/M) with a matching sized Verandah. This is larger than the average Deck/Verandah for a home of this modest size. However, Peter and Sue are retired Grandparents and it was their wish to provide a safe all weather facility for their visiting Grand children. This they accomplished 100%
The Timber Decking Now Group loved this delightful couple as clients. Both Peter and Sue were as a couple, one of the most “down to earth” and co-operative clients we have ever had the pleasure to deal with.
We at TDN wish them both a long and enjoyable retirement, complimented by many visits from the grandchildren.